Who we are?
Founded in 1994, the International Association of Educating Cities (IAEC) is a non-profit Association, constituted as a permanent collaborative structure uniting local governments committed to the Charter of Educating Cities, which is the road map of the cities that comprise it. Any local government that accepts this commitment can become an active member of the Association, regardless of its administrative powers. At the 2018 year end, the Association has 493 member cities in 36 countries on all continents.
- To proclaim and champion the importance of education in the city.
- To publicise the educative axes of the political projects of the member cities.
- To promote, inspire, foster, and assure compliance with the principles of the Charter of Educating Cities (Declaration of Barcelona) by the member cities, and provide advice and information to the members on fostering and implementing the same.
- To represent the members in the undertaking of the purposes of the association, in relating to and collaborating with international organisations, states, territorial entities of all kinds, so that the IAEC can be a valid, significant interlocutor in the processes of influencing, negotiating, decision-making and the drafting of documents.
- To establish a relationship and collaboration with other associations, federations, bodies or territorial networks and, especially, with cities, in similar, complementary or competing areas of action.
- To cooperate in all territorial areas within the framework of the purposes of the Association.
- To boost the membership in the Association of the cities of the world.
- To boost the deepening of the Educating City concept and its specific applications to the policies of Cities through exchanges, encounters, shared projects, congresses and all types of activities and initiatives that reinforce the links between the member cities, in the area of the bureaus, territorial networks, thematic networks and other bodies.